Bulky and chunky weight yarns are so fun and squishy to crochet with. Not only do they work up quickly due to the thickness but they also create such wonderfully cozy projects. Sometimes it can be hard coming up with ideas for this type of yarn, especially if it isn’t one you use often. To share some inspiration, I’ve compiled a list of 40 crochet patterns that use bulky and chunky weight yarn. There’s something for everyone in this list from wearables to home decor! I hope you’ll take a peek at these designs and perhaps find something that pops out and jumps onto your project list.
Find the crochet patterns below…
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you decide to purchase items through the links I have shared, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the time and work I put into this website and pattern designing.
All pattern links and photos have been included with permission from the designers. Each pattern links directly back to the original source.
1. Wonderfully Warm Mittens (FREE) – YARNutopia: There’s nothing better than a pair of handmade mittens!
2. Sophie Infinity Scarf (FREE) – First The Coffee: An infinity scarf is always extra warm and looks beautiful in a fun and colourful yarn
3. Tulipa Sweater (FREE) – Hooked For Life: Made with bulky cotton, this sweater is cozy and comfortable for those chilly days.
4. Striped Moss Stitch Blanket (FREE) – Jewels & Jones: There are so many options for colour combinations when making this bulky blanket.
5. Modern Tote Bag (FREE) – Life and Yarn: The waistcoat stitch creates a lovely and simple tote bag. Solid and sturdy, perfect for your market trips!
6. Crochet Cable Hat (FREE) – The Loopy Lamb: This cozy cable hat is a great way to show off some fun, textured stitch work.
7. Quick Crochet Hanging Basket (FREE) – Fosbas Designs: A fun and practical project that can be hung up almost anywhere in your home or office.
8. CMD Chunky Slippers (PAID) – Canoe Mtn Designs: Cute and quick crochet slippers with instructions for various sizes.
9. Big Bold Cabled Stocking (PAID) – A Crocheted Simplicity: Add a bold and eye catching stocking to your holiday decor!
10. Dinosaur Crochet Hat (FREE) – Lovable Loops: Available in three sizes, this adorable dinosaur hat is perfect for fans of paleontology.
11. Cozy Stitch Scarf (FREE) – Sweet Bee Crochet: A simple stitch combined with soft and cozy yarn for a warm and toasty scarf.
12. Easy Double Crochet Blanket (FREE) – You Should Craft: This blanket works up extremely fast which means you get to snuggle up under it sooner!
13. Chunky Bobble Draft Blocker (FREE) – Blackstone Designs: A practical DIY solution that’s especially helpful during the colder seasons.
14. Lina Beanie (FREE) – Avery Lane Creations: A cozy hat that can be made in a variety of sizes to fit all your family and friends.
15. Textured Crochet Heart Pillow (FREE) – Made by Gootie: This sweet pattern would be an adorable addition to your favourite chair reading spot.
16. Mountain Leg Warmers (PAID) – Blue Star Crochet: A cute accessory to add an extra layer of warmth and cozy.
17. Basic Fingerless Gloves (FREE) – Raffamusa Designs: A beginner friendly pattern that uses only single and half double crochet stitches.
18. Mama Bear Hooded Scarf (FREE) – Once Upon a Cheerio: Because adults need cute and adorable wearables too!
19. Modern Crochet Throw (FREE) – Lulo Stitch Co.: A big, soft blanket with a fun and simple bobble accent throughout.
20. Warm Double Layer Headband (FREE) – Simply Hooked by Janet: A double layer headband for extra warmth during cold winter days.
21. The Iris Cowl (FREE) – Carroway Crochet: An elegant stitch worked into a beginner friendly cowl pattern.
22. Niyati Mosaic Scarf (FREE) – KnitterKnotter: A fun Tunisian stitch pattern with a focus on mosaic crochet.
23. Hygge Pocket Shawl (FREE) – Mason Jar Yarn Designs: Lounge around and relax with a comfortable pocket shawl.
24. Fair Isle Holiday Rug (FREE) – Briana K Designs: A gorgeous addition to your handmade holiday decor.
25. Robbie the Raccoon (FREE) – DIY Fluffies: A super cute stuffy pattern that would be extra cuddly in bulky weight yarn.
26. Crochet Cowl (FREE) – A Box of Twine: A quick crochet project with only 9 rounds!
27. Juno Chunky Shrug (FREE) – Stitch & Hustle: A blanket inspired shrug that is perfect for keeping cozy wherever you go.
28. Aspen Scarf (FREE) – Gleeful Things: An eye catching scarf that has a lovely drape and texture.
29. Forest Sprite Beanie (FREE) – Crochet with Gabriella Rose: A fun and whimsical beanie pattern.
30. Radley Tunisian Hat (FREE) – Exquisite Crochet UK: A Tunisian stitch had with pretty cable accents.
31. Highland Neamh Cocoon Cardigan (FREE) – Sunflower Cottage Crochet: A comfortable and cozy project that’s easy to customize.
32. Berries and Cream Blanket Wrap (PAID) – Sandra Regev: A beginner friendly wrap pattern that can be modified in size.
33. Easy Chunky Crochet Blanket (FREE) – Pam’s Cozy Corner: Blankets are always a thoughtful idea for gift giving and thicker yarns always work up fast.
34. Claire Basket (FREE) – Divine Debris: The perfect project when you need some DIY organization options.
35. Tulip Square Sweater (FREE) – Wilmade: Such a pretty sweater made from crocheted squares and triangles.
36. Faux Fur Angle Warmers (FREE) – Creations by Courtney: A quick and speedy 30 minute crochet project!
37. Nesting Planters (PAID) – ACCROchet: Available in three sizes and a great way to spruce up your plant pots.
38. Painted Hills Wall Hanging (FREE) – Divine Debris: Bulky yarn isn’t just for cozy blankets and wearables. It makes wonderful home décor pieces as well!
39. Bulky Crochet Socks (FREE) – Briana K Designs: Say goodbye to cold feet with a pair of slipper socks.
40. Lemon Loop Scarf (PAID) – Sweet Bee Crochet: A fun scarf pattern that uses a variation of the lemon peel stitch.
I hope you enjoyed these creative crochet patterns! Thank you to all the designers who allowed me to include their amazing patterns in this round up. Don’t forget to give them a tag if you crochet their designs, I know they would love to see your beautiful work. Happy crocheting!