Today I have another quick project for you, one that’s practical and uses a fun variation of the single crochet stitch. The extended single crochet stitch is used throughout and works up slightly taller than the traditional version while still making a solid fabric that’s perfect for dishcloths. It’s a very nice stitch to use with a solid shade but works well with a variegated or striped yarn, often with colourful and fun results.
Learn how to make this fun and easy dishcloth below…
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you decide to purchase items through the links I have shared, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the time and work I put into this website and pattern designing.
You may sell items completed from this pattern but please provide credit back to Sweet Bee Crochet and if possible, link back to the pattern location. You may not sell this written pattern or use my photos without consent. You may not use my photos to sell your completed items.
**I would love to see your own creative spin on colours and how you’ve made it unique. Tag me on Instagram (@sweet_bee_crochet) to show off your finished piece!**
– This pattern is written in US terms (find a stitch conversion chart here)
– Gauge is 2×2 inches :7 rows , each containing 8 stitches of EXT/SC
– Finished dishcloth measures 8×8 inches
– Turning CH 1 does not count as a stitch
– The finished dishcloth has nice and tidy edges and doesn’t necessarily require a border however if you would like to add one, instructions are included within the pattern
– This pattern looks well with a solid shade or striped/variegated yarn
– Approximately 70 yards of worsted weight cotton yarn. I used WeCrochet Dishie Multi in the “Friendship Bracelet” colourway Read my review of Dishie yarn here.
– 4mm hook (I used my Furls Streamline Teak)
– Yarn needle (bent tip needles are always helpful)
– Scissors (my favourite!)
– Measuring tape (check out this handy retractable one!)
CH – Chain
SC – Single crochet (only for optional border)
EXT/SC – Extended Single Crochet
Special Stitch Tutorial:
Extended Single Crochet (EXT/SC) – Insert your hook into the stitch. Yarn over and pull back through the stitch (2 loops on hook). Yarn over and pull your hook down through the top loop on your hook (2 loops on hook). Yarn over and pull down through two loops on hook. Extended single crochet stitch complete.
Detailed Tutorial: How to Make The Extended Single Crochet Stitch
Into the second CH from you hook and each stitch across, place 1 EXT/SC. CH 1 and turn.
(30 EXT/SC stitches)
Into the first stitch and each stitch across the row, place 1 EXT/SC. CH 1 and turn for all rows except row 26. After row 26, fasten off and weave in ends.
(30 EXT/SC stitches)
If you would like to add a border, please continue reading below, otherwise, your dishcloth is complete!
(I find fastening off and re-joining the yarn in the middle of an edge provides a neater finish for the border)
Join yarn into the middle of any edge with a SS and CH 1. Evenly place 1 SC around all edges and make 1 SC, CH 2, 1 SC into each corner space. SS into the beginning SC, fasten off and weave in all ends.
Great job! Your dishcloth is complete! These would make a great project to take on the go, to gift or use in your own home. If you enjoyed this pattern, you might also like these other Sweet Bee Crochet designs: