I love having crochet projects for around my home. They can be personalized in such a lovely way to easily blend in with your decor or can be worked with some bold colours to stand out. Add this adorable little crochet pin cushion to your crafting space, either to hold sewing pins or yarn needles.
This pattern uses up very little cotton yarn and is a great stash buster project. You definitely don’t need much for this pattern. Read more to check it out and learn how to make your own.
You may sell items completed from this pattern but please provide credit back to Sweet Bee Crochet and if possible, link back to pattern location. You may not sell this written pattern or use my photos without consent. You may not use my photos to sell your completed items.
**I would love see your own creative spin on colours and how you’ve made it unique. Tag me on Instagram (@sweet_bee_crochet) to show off your finished piece!**
-This pattern is written in US terms.
– Beginning Ch 2 of the two circle portions do not count as a stitch. It does count as a stitch for the flower motif.
– The finished circles might appear a bit wavy. This will flatten out when you stitch the together and add your stuffing and weights.
– Adding a small bit of weight to the bottom of your pin cushion will help it to sit firmly and flat on a surface. I use a small amount of white rice but you may prefer to use something else. However, this is optional and you may decide to finish your pin cushion with only poly-fil stuffing. If you choose to use white rice, it might be beneficial for you to sew a small pouch with some scrap fabric to keep the rice contained. Again, this is optional.
– This project is an excellent stash buster and uses very little yarn.
– Bernat Handicrafter yarn (5 colours of your choosing. Will be referred to as A, B, C, D and E)
– 3.5 mm hook
– Yarn needle
– Small handful of poly-fil stuffing
– 1 to 2 tablespoons of white rice (optional)
– Small piece of fabric with appropriate thread and needle to make a small pouch for rice (optional)
SS – Slip stitch
CH – Chain
SC – Single Crochet
HDC – Half Double Crochet
DC – Double Crochet
TR – Triple Crochet
Circle Piece (Make 2) With yarn colour A, begin with a magic circle. Alternately, you may chain 3 and ss into the beginning chain to form a loop.
Ch 2. Place 10 dc into your circle. SS into the top of beginning dc. (10)
Ch 2. Into each stitch, place 2 dc. SS into the top of your beginning dc (20)
Ch 2. Into each stitch, place 2 dc. SS into the top of your beginning dc (40)
Ch 2. Into the first stitch, place 1 dc. Into the next stitch, place 2 dc. Continue alternating (1 dc, 2dc) all the way around. Place a SS into the top of your beginning dc (60).
Fasten off and weave in ends.
If you would like a separate printable copy of this motif, place click here: 15 Minute Flower Applique
Reminder: Ch 2 counts as a stitch for round 1.
With yarn colour B, begin with a magic circle. Alternately, you may ch 3 and ss into the beginning chain to form a loop.
Continuing with this colour, chain 2. Place 9 dc into the loop you just made. SS into the top of your beginning ch. 2 (10) Pull yarn to tighten and close the centre. Fasten off.
With yarn colour C, insert your hook in between any two dc and complete 1 sc. Ch 4 and skip the next 2 dc. Complete 1 sc into the next space between dc stitches. Repeat this sequence until you reach your last chain 4 and ss into to beginning sc of the round. Do not fasten off or cut yarn.
Continuing with the same colour as round 2, begin working in the chain 4 space of the previous round. Complete 1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 dc, 1 tr, 1 dc, 1hdc, 1 sc. Continue in the next chain 4 space. *Complete 1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 dc, 1 tr, 1 dc, 1hdc, 1 sc. Complete this pattern 3 more times from the * and finish with a ss into the top of your beginning sc. Fasten off.
With yarn colour D, insert your hook into the top of any tr stitch and complete 1 ss. Chain 4 and ss into the space between the next 2 sc of the previous round. Chain 4, ss into the top of the next tr stitch. Repeat sequence until you reach the beginning of the round and ss into your first ss at the top of the tr you started with. Fasten off and weave in all ends.
Stitch your flower applique in the centre of the right side of one circle. Fasten off and weave in ends. Place your two circles together with the right side facing out.
Switch to yarn colour D. Being careful to catch the stitches of both circles, join your yarn and chain 1. Place 1 sc into each stitch around pausing once you reach the halfway point.
- If you are choosing to add rice inside your pin cushion, please add it now. Either by creating a small sewn pouch and placing it between your crochet circles or simply add 1-2 tablespoons of loose rice directly inside.
- Add your poly-fil stuffing on top of the rice
Continue to close your pin cushion by placing 1 sc into the remaining stitches. SS into the top of your beginning sc. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Your pin cushion is complete!
Keep this sweet little project for yourself or make one for a friend. Better, yet make more than one because they are SO easy and simple. I hope you enjoyed working on this pattern and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram (@sweet_bee_crochet) because I would love to see your versions.
If you’d like to check out my other patterns, head over to the Free Pattern section of my blog for other fun and beginner friendly projects. I promise you’ll find something you’ll love!