Can you believe that since beginning Sweet Bee Crochet that I haven’t released a bee themed pattern yet? I’m fixing that today with a fun and practical mug rug design! Simple, adorable and requires only a small amount of yarn. While it is made with the cute traditional “bee” themed colours, you could definitely make it your own by switch up the shades to your preference.
Find the free crochet mug rug pattern below…
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you decide to purchase items through the links I have shared, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the time and work I put into this website and pattern designing.
This pattern is available for free here on my blog. An ad-free, neatly formatted, printer friendly version is also available in my Etsy and Ravelry shops. Click the buttons below to take you there!
You may sell items completed from this pattern but please provide credit back to Sweet Bee Crochet and if possible, link back to the pattern location. You may not sell this written pattern or use my photos without consent. You may not use my photos to sell your completed items.
**I would love to see your own creative spin on colours and how you’ve made it unique. Tag me on Instagram (@sweet_bee_crochet) to show off your finished piece!**
– This pattern is written in US terms (find a stitch conversion chart here)
– Gauge is not important for this pattern
– Finished mug rug (not including tassels) measures approximately 5 ½ inches wide and 4 inches tall
– Turning CH does not count as a stitch
– If you prefer, you might choose to carry your yarn up each row instead of fastening off. Please keep in mind this will increase the yardage required
– Photos for tassel assembly can be found within the pattern
– Worsted weight cotton yarn in the traditional bee colours. I used WeCrochet Dishie in the following colourways: “Bumblebee” (approx. 11 yards), “Black” (approx. 12 yards) and “White” (approx. 4 yards) Read my review of Dishie yarn here.
– 4mm hook
– Yarn needle
– Measuring tape
CH – Chain
HDC – Half Double Crochet
Special Stitch Tutorial:
There are no special stitches required for this pattern
With black yarn, CH 22.
Into the second CH from your hook and each stitch across, place 1 HDC. Fasten off and turn.
(21 HDC stitches)
Join yellow yarn into the first stitch and CH 1. Into the same stitch and each stitch across, place 1 HDC. Fasten off and turn.
(21 HDC stitches)
Repeat row 2, alternating the rows with black and yellow yarn. After completing row 11, fasten off and weave in all ends.
Cut 44 strands of white yarn (2 per tassel), approximately 4 inches in length. Place a tassel on both ends of each row. For consistency, ensure that the tassels are all pulled through and made in the same way. Once all tassels are finished, trim to the designed length.
Congratulations! Your Sweet Bee Mug Rug is complete. I had a wonderful group of pattern testers for this design and they shared some great photos of their beautiful versions. A huge shout out to them for sharing their time and talents with me:
If you enjoyed this pattern, you might also like these other free crochet projects: